Eden-nya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scanlation group and community around the manga Dreamland

Le Deal du moment : -20%
-20% Récupérateur à eau mural 300 ...
Voir le deal
79 €
Le Deal du moment :
Cartes Pokémon 151 : où trouver le ...
Voir le deal

You are not connected. Please login or register

[translation]Methaniel (Kind of~)

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1[translation]Methaniel (Kind of~) Empty [translation]Methaniel (Kind of~) Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:40 am

methaniel

methaniel

Well, same as Chockey who just posted before, I could help if needed for the position of french-english translator (too lasy to learn how to use Photoshop correctly so I can't edit scans >.>)
I have some experiences on translating some series before like Tough, Elemental Gerad - Flag of Bluesky and some Mushishi...though, I could guess that I lost quite a bit of my "fluentness" in english as I'm now learning japanese, so I kind of stumble on my words occasionally.
(That and I soon have exams dor the upcoming week, but after, it should be more lax)

Anyway, please consider Chockey's proposition first, and if it needs further help, I'll gladly lend my hand (for the sake of Dreamland, that's a must done...why didn't I had a scanner back then, I would so have loved to do it too T.T)

2[translation]Methaniel (Kind of~) Empty Re: [translation]Methaniel (Kind of~) Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:03 am

Deman

Deman
Admin

Hey !
Well, it doesn't matter if there are 2 or 3 translators, as soon as you don't translate the same chapter at the same time.

So to see if you can do the job, you need to translate this :

"
- Le porter ?! Non, mais tu m'as bien regarder ?
- Quoi ? Vous avez peur ?
- Non, j'ai pas peur ! Mais il est trop gros et trop lourd.
- Allez mon gros, saute !
- Ne poussez pas vous allez lui faire mal."

Good luck ! Razz

http://eden-nya.net

3[translation]Methaniel (Kind of~) Empty Re: [translation]Methaniel (Kind of~) Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:59 pm

methaniel

methaniel

Deman wrote:"

- Carry him?! Hey, did you really saw me?
- What? You're afraid?
- Nah, I'm not! But he's far too big and heavy for me.
- Well go ahead and jump then
- Don't push, you're going to hurt him.

Erm...I honestly couldn't understand what was going on in this dialogue so it may be kind of akward (why was he pushed/had to jump after carrying someone?)...I guess images would have helped but let's put it that way for now.
Oh and some parts confusing to be corrected (or not):
There is the fact that "did you really saw me?" sounds kind of wrong I guess, though it's more of a literal translation...it may be more like a "You think I could?" or a "As if I could do it!" but then it changes quite a bit compared to the original if we take it literally...Guess it all depends on the stance for this translation, keep it the closest possible to the original script or going with the flow (kind of like translating japanese jokes in an english adaptation or going literally, though it's less extreme here)
Same goes for "Allez mon gros, saute"...depending on the context it may be slightly different. And right now I can't think of a word to translate "mon gros" (sorry, it's about time to hit bed for me right now so >.>). "Silly"? But I would guess it's not that kind of context again...
And finally why "vous" in the "vous avez peur"...if the person speaking is polite and all, putting it in the "Are you afraid?" would be probably better too, but if it's the same chara who said to jump, then it's okay like this
Nyahah, it seems to be quite bad, I'm impressed at myself for such..."difficulties" but well, too lasy to change anything (happy proof-read pretty much?)

4[translation]Methaniel (Kind of~) Empty Re: [translation]Methaniel (Kind of~) Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:05 pm

Deman

Deman
Admin

Well, It is how i would have translated this. Put I'm not a pro translator.
I will wait for an answer from Autumnskies, who is really better than me.

Anyway, if you want the context :

A "really big" cat is in a tree.
A young boy asks an older man to carry it and to make it go down.

Then you have the dialogue.

5[translation]Methaniel (Kind of~) Empty Re: [translation]Methaniel (Kind of~) Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:16 pm

methaniel

methaniel

Oh yeah I somehow remember the scene now (I thought it was a person who was being carried and couldn't picture it...)...Wait it's the young boy pushing the cat and the grandpa asking right? Not the opposite? Or do I really don't remember anything of the old volumes of Dreamland...

Then you have to change some things like
"Carry it" as it's a damn cat and not a human here >.>
"Are you afraid" may be better
"Well then jump fatty"
"Dont push him, you might hurt him!"
(Yeah, grandpa still speaks with "him" probably)
And there still is this "mon gros" problem...fatty seems a bit too much for just a stupid big cat...somehow I like using "rascal" when talking to cats (lil'rascal would have been quite ironic and could work well I think but as before it's completly...not literal translation)

Anyway, time to go to sleep, let's hope it can go along with AutumnSkies' "tastes"~

6[translation]Methaniel (Kind of~) Empty Re: [translation]Methaniel (Kind of~) Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:45 pm

Deman

Deman
Admin

Actually, it is when Sabba is asking by a boy in deliriumcity Wink

7[translation]Methaniel (Kind of~) Empty Re: [translation]Methaniel (Kind of~) Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:34 pm

autumnSkies

autumnSkies

Hello, welcome and thanks for the trouble of applying for Eden-nya.

[EDIT]Well, how rude of me, where were my manners!
So, how are things in Japan? That's quite neat.
Nothing personal, but would you mind to tell me when/where/why you have decided to learn French?
Y'know, as a French, I was forced to learn French (CAPTAIN OBVIOUS!!), but I learned English because there were no other ways to play video games (yup, that's one un-honourable motivation!) years ago!
So I'm just curious, why people would learn French as it is not that necessary (I mean it)! If you don't want to answer, be my guest, you don't have to!
By the way, how are you doing with learning Japanese? Hard enough? Easy enough? I had troubles learning to speak it! And now I must have forgotten everything. Razz

Your (and my) personal life aside, for the translation, since I haven't seen the scene yet (or I did, but I totally forgot it!), I can't give something really accurate. But I think with the context given by Deman, it is somehow possible to have a "fine" translation.

Deman wrote:"

I would have translated it by (/!\ be wary of the register & context /!\):
1-Carry him?! Wait, did you take a good look at me?
2-What? Are you scared?
3-No, I'm not! But he's far too big and heavy [for me].
4-Come on Tomfat*, get down here!
5-Don't push him, you're going to hurt him."

I'll give some short explanations about my choices, but also some other way round to translate it (depending on the register & the context):

1-Yeah, I know it's an animal, I know it's not a human, but I think if you have spent some time with an animal, you'll start thinking he's your friend. And you don't call your friend "it". Simple enough!

2-Well, you can also use afraid... whatever.

3-[for me] is pretty obvious to me, so I don't think I'd put it. If there were no question, it would have been necessary to understand why he says that the cat is too heavy.

4-Tomfat: It's a (lame, I totally agree!) play on words. Tomcat+Fat (as far as I understood, he's awfully fat). I can't find any straight translation, so I had to turn around. But you could also call him "dude" (see 1, the animal becomes your friend). Maybe you had a pet before, and I'm sure that if you did, you called him "dude, don't mess up everything!", or something like that!

5-I don't really know how he's getting pushed. Maybe he's getting pushed down? So be it. Don't push him down then!

Alternative:
1- Carry him? Wha-?! Did you take a good look at me?
2- What? You're scared?
3- Nah, I'm not! But he's way too big and heavy.
4- C'mon dude, jump down here!
5- Don't push him, you're going to hurt him/you'll hurt him/he could be hurt.

1- Why Wha-?!
It sounds more like a "younger" register. Sounds more like a genuine English teenager (well, they're French, whatever, I'd hate to translate "dattebayo" in Naruto anyway...).

2- The only difference is "Are you scared?" became "You're scared?". Simple enough, sounds less serious and less formal.

3- Nah! Yeah, that's what you used. So I guess I don't have to explain. About "you're way too", sounds far (or way, whatever) less formal as well.

4- See 4 above. C'mon is pretty obvious. "Jump down" may very well be used in both cases!

5- Nothing to be added. It's basically the same.

So yeah, translating is a very flexible job I guess, you have so many ways to translate one simple sentence (well, except some simple sentence, don't go translating "I'd like a cup of tea" by "Je suis un Gundam"!)!
Quite painstaking indeed and quite complex, because French is a difficult language to understand and in English, you can have so many options for a single word that it becomes hard to choose the right one!

Honestly, I sometimes have trouble translating (and my English is, once again, far from being perfect (and so my French is as well, I assure you)), should I do literal translation or should I rephrase it?
Well, I often put whatever I think is right/correct and try to have the most accurate translation.

Anyway, I'm actually quite kind, so you shouldn't be so wary. No offense here, just some quick tips, I am not pretending to be a better English speaker than you guys are, but I have a large vision of what translating is because I almost translate every day, be it at school or at home... or whatever!

I hope you didn't take it as an insult or whatever, really, these are simple advice and myself could be wrong, I am fully aware, but this is how I would have translated it.

Maybe you could help translating then I could spellcheck/correction after? I don't know, it's only the two of us at the moment so basically Deman is taking all the decisions. Very Happy

Thanks again, and woo, congratz if you did read everything. I appreciate. Very Happy

P.S.:
Sorry for the awfully long post. I had to make things clear!

Last edited by autumnSkies on Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

8[translation]Methaniel (Kind of~) Empty Re: [translation]Methaniel (Kind of~) Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:55 pm

Deman

Deman
Admin

Don't misunderstand me too, I'm not the boss. Embarassed
We're a team, so I think it's better if we choose togeither. Anyway, your right concerning the translation. There are couple ways to translate something french in english. For what I've seen so far, AutumnSkies's translations are really good, so I think it's pretty logical if he is the main translator. But yeah, he has a life, he studies, he doesn't gain monay by translating.
So having some help could be great. This is why I proposed recruitement.
I'm not against the idea of you translating and then being corrected by him.
How about that ?

9[translation]Methaniel (Kind of~) Empty Re: [translation]Methaniel (Kind of~) Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:37 am

methaniel

methaniel

autumnSkies wrote:I would have translated it by (/!\ be wary of the register & context /!\):
1-Carry him?! Wait, did you take a good look at me?
2-What? Are you scared?
3-No, I'm not! But he's far too big and heavy [for me].
4-Come on Tomfat*, get down here!
5-Don't push him, you're going to hurt him."

I'll give some short explanations about my choices, but also some other way round to translate it (depending on the register & the context):

1-Yeah, I know it's an animal, I know it's not a human, but I think if you have spent some time with an animal, you'll start thinking he's your friend. And you don't call your friend "it". Simple enough!

2-Well, you can also use afraid... whatever.

3-[for me] is pretty obvious to me, so I don't think I'd put it. If there were no question, it would have been necessary to understand why he says that the cat is too heavy.

4-Tomfat: It's a (lame, I totally agree!) play on words. Tomcat+Fat (as far as I understood, he's awfully fat). I can't find any straight translation, so I had to turn around. But you could also call him "dude" (see 1, the animal becomes your friend). Maybe you had a pet before, and I'm sure that if you did, you called him "dude, don't mess up everything!", or something like that!

5-I don't really know how he's getting pushed. Maybe he's getting pushed down? So be it. Don't push him down then!

Alternative:
1- Carry him? Wha-?! Did you take a good look at me?
2- What? You're scared?
3- Nah, I'm not! But he's way too big and heavy.
4- C'mon dude, jump down here!
5- Don't push him, you're going to hurt him/you'll hurt him/he could be hurt.

1- Why Wha-?!
It sounds more like a "younger" register. Sounds more like a genuine English teenager (well, they're French, whatever, I'd hate to translate "dattebayo" in Naruto anyway...).

2- The only difference is "Are you scared?" became "You're scared?". Simple enough, sounds less serious and less formal.

3- Nah! Yeah, that's what you used. So I guess I don't have to explain. About "you're way too", sounds far (or way, whatever) less formal as well.

4- See 4 above. C'mon is pretty obvious. "Jump down" may very well be used in both cases!

5- Nothing to be added. It's basically the same.

So yeah, translating is a very flexible job I guess, you have so many ways to translate one simple sentence (well, except some simple sentence, don't go translating "I'd like a cup of tea" by "Je suis un Gundam"!)!
Quite painstaking indeed and quite complex, because French is a difficult language to understand and in English, you can have so many options for a single word that it becomes hard to choose the right one!

Honestly, I sometimes have trouble translating (and my English is, once again, far from being perfect (and so my French is as well, I assure you)), should I do literal translation or should I rephrase it?
Well, I often put whatever I think is right/correct and try to have the most accurate translation.

Anyway, I'm actually quite kind, so you shouldn't be so wary. No offense here, just some quick tips, I am not pretending to be a better English speaker than you guys are, but I have a large vision of what translating is because I almost translate every day, be it at school or at home... or whatever!

I hope you didn't take it as an insult or whatever, really, these are simple advice and myself could be wrong, I am fully aware, but this is how I would have translated it.

Maybe you could help translating then I could spellcheck/correction after? I don't know, it's only the two of us at the moment so basically Deman is taking all the decisions

Aha, first things first, I guess misunderstanding has arise, but...I'm not japanese or anything, I'm the same as you guys...that is a french (I was going to say a pure french but it's not the case so...). Just that I decided on learning japanese, and so right now...well, I'm living in tokyo, but let's put that aside, I'll probably repeat it in the introduction thread more correctly (though, let's quickly say my motivation for learning english at first was the same...a certain Xenosaga serie forced me to it >.>)

Regarding the correction
1. Yeah, I agree with the whole him/it thing, it's just I thought in this sentence the one speaking wasn't the owner of the cat (hence Savane?), rather the owner was speaking in the 5th sentence (hence why I put "it" in the first and "him" in the 5th...), oh well, this problem is just based on the lack of image so it's okay. (Ah, Delirium City, the funniest place in Dreamland)
4. Oh yeah, this sentence by itself was pretty annoying. I...wouldn't have thought of Tomfat, it...has a fun ring to it, that's quite nice~ I thought of the "dude", but I actually never had an animal before, so I was wondering if it would be alright or not (I would have used it personally, but as for the "would everyone use it for speaking to your pet?", I had no idea)
Regarding the other point I have nothing to add as I completly agree with it (Aha, I did read it, I just don't feal like anything should be add, or can't think of any at the moment so this much is good >.>)

Regarding then your decision, I have no problem with translating and being proof-read (as I would need proof-read anyway, just the sheer amount of potential grammar errors cause I missed it may be quite huge if I'm in worn-out-mode).
Well, the decision on how to go in the end is all yours, but if I can help, I will!

(Oh, and as a side-note, I'm an extremely...erm...difficult case in the way that you'll have to do extremely well for offensing me or such, so right now I completly fail to see where your post could have been offending, and so no problem with your message, or the way you could speak. go ahead, scold me master! (damn, my "M" side coming back...shh!!)

10[translation]Methaniel (Kind of~) Empty Re: [translation]Methaniel (Kind of~) Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:12 am

autumnSkies

autumnSkies

We can arrange that if you can send us some goodies from Japan. Very Happy
(Yes! I so f*cking want all of these figures! Meh Nendoroids! Meh Gachapon! Meeeeeh everythiiiiiing)
Oh dear. =_=

11[translation]Methaniel (Kind of~) Empty Re: [translation]Methaniel (Kind of~) Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:31 pm

methaniel

methaniel

autumnSkies wrote:We can arrange that if you can send us some goodies from Japan. Very Happy
(Yes! I so f*cking want all of these figures! Meh Nendoroids! Meh Gachapon! Meeeeeh everythiiiiiing)
Oh dear. =_=

I haven't thought of gachapon yet...but Nendoroids, fu~fu~fu~
I'm trying to have all the Touhou Petit Set (yeah, I'm a Touhou fan as well, sigh...)

12[translation]Methaniel (Kind of~) Empty Re: [translation]Methaniel (Kind of~) Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:16 pm

Deman

Deman
Admin

You have been accepted to join the team as a translator.
You may access the team zone and its forums.
Please take the time to read what is needed to translate.
Welcome !

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum